U: Unveil to Veil

Image Source
Urvashi was busy with her morning household chores. She had to make tiffin, prepare breakfast, tea, make milk for kids, get ready for school, and prepare for other small things. This was a regular routine of her life. She had adjusted herself to it and her speed had increased a lot during last years. 

Her parents could not believe that she was doing so much in her in-law’s place. Her maiden life had been easy. She was born and brought up in Dubai. She never had to ask for anything. She lived life a queen’s size. She had never entered kitchen and now, she was a master chef at her home.

On such a conversation with her mom on skype, she said, “Mom, it is not so. I am happy here.”

“Yeah. I can see that. Whenever I talk to you either you are busy in kitchen or with other household chores.”

“So what’s the big deal in this? You too do it.”

“I do it but to a limit. Just look at you, you have degraded to a typical homemaker. Why do not you start working, bacha?”

“I am not permitted. You know that.”


“Ridiculous it is! Why don’t you speak to Dhiraj about it?

“Speak what mom? This is something; we knew is going to happen”.

“Yes. But I cannot see you like that.”

“Mom, it is my responsibility of taking care of my house. And I am happy here, do not worry. It is not necessary that every women works.”

“What about your identity?”

“So I have it here. Who’s saying, I do not have it?”

“It does not seem so,” her mom affirmed.



“Mom, do not be sad. I chose this life for myself and I have no complains on it.”

“Your life is epic. People choose to progress and you have chosen to go down.”

“Mom, now this is going far. I cannot tolerate anything for my family. Why do you associate larger than life picture as success?”

“That’s how it should be.”

“It is not so,” Urvashi spoke sternly.

“Whatever it is. Your life is a perfect story of travel from Unveil world to veil world.”

“Now what is that supposed to mean?”

“You know it. You have limited yourself to your house. I am not saying No but at least do something for yourself.”

“Doing stuff for family is doing stuff for myself,” she said and there was a knock on the door. “Chal, Ma, I will talk to you later, he is here. And do not worry, I am happy.”

“Fine. Just take care of yourself.”

“I will mom. And Dhiraj loves me more than you can imagine. I love that and my life.”


Her mother chose to believe her, knowing that she is true. But she was mom, how cannot she worry?

Connecting it to A to Z Challenge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 12 – The Undeniable Truth

In Conversation with Photographer Richa Maheshwari