O: Optimizing Time With Books

The Collage - This is just 50% of my dad's collection

Books are his passion. He loves books as they are his companions. From what started to be mere, reading hobby has now turned into a collection of books, magazines, novels, and newspapers.










Who’s he? He is my dad, Naresh Dudani. I have seen him collecting numerous books… so numerous that we have stop counting. If we have to collect and count his books, they will all sum up to somewhere around 80,000 +.








Yes, I am not kidding. Sharing some of the pictures below, so you can have ideas.





In his interview to Bazaar, he had said, “"At the age of 15 when most children were concerned with buying chocolates or cricket gears I decided to make use of Rs. 2. That I would get and buy newspapers and magazines. I started with “Dharmayug” and today I have a more that 70 thousand copies of different magazines and supplements since 1971.



Though it might have started as a pass-time, it soon converted into passion. I wanted to get into journalism but in those cultural settings of 1970s taking up a profession like that was not just hard but frowned upon. I ended up taking Physics in college but I was hell bent on becoming a journalist so I ran away from home twice!







However it has never been simple for me but after a brief period of struggle I ended up with Indian Express where I spent the rest of my working years. Throughout my life -through all my periods of happiness and struggles I never stopped investing in what I truly like! You name the newspaper, magazine, comics, movie scripts from Hindi to English to Telgu and Gujarati- I have them all.”


He has a collection ‘Aha!Zindagi’, ‘Chandrkanta’, ‘India News’, ‘Women’s Era’, ‘Femina’, ‘Gr8’, ‘Kadambini’, ‘Amar Chitra Katha’, ‘Tinkle’, ‘Sports Week’, ‘India Today’, ‘The Week’, ‘Safari’, ‘Meri Sajani’, ‘Life Colors’, ‘Frontline’, ‘the Sunday Indian’, ‘Probe India’, ‘Harmony’, ‘Grahshoba’, ‘Madhuri’, ‘Cricketer Asia’, ‘Vanita’, Meri Saheli’, ‘Beyond Sindh’, ‘Youth Connect’, ‘The Week’, ‘Chitralekha’, ‘Outlook’, ‘Chacha Chaudhri’, ‘Chandamama’, ‘Comics’, ‘Shukarwaar Hindi Daily’, ‘Sindhi International’, ‘Aseen Sindhi Magazines’, ‘Hello! India Monthly Magazine’, and many more.


He also has a vast collection of Hindi Novels, and books that has lyrics of all Bollywood songs etc 
etc. You can visit his Facebook profile as he keeps uploading the books there.

Connecting it to A to Z Challenge

Comments

  1. WOW that is a lot of books! What does he do with them? Just collect, or does he try to read them all, or...?
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur dad totally awesome, Nikita. I am also a collection freak and go crazy over my mags, accumulating over years. Now, its getting me second thoughts to keep it. Nothing beats collecting books. I am impressed at the collection:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thank you guys for your comments!

    My dad has read many of them and is now planning to open his own library where all these books will be available for reading and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, and I thought my family had a lot of books :) Hope he has fun with his library.

    @ShonnaSlayton from
    Shonna Slayton YA Writer - Blogging the 1940’s from A to Z

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 12 – The Undeniable Truth

In Conversation with Photographer Richa Maheshwari